The Utilizing Plants for Innovative Research (UPIR) Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program will provide a multitude of benefits to participants.
Foremost, an immersive research experience allows participants to gain an understanding of the scientific method and various types of research practices, which is particularly the case for UPIR-REU participants as all projects are interdisciplinary. Participants will:
- gain knowledge of cutting-edge scientific methodology to answer intriguing research questions as participants work with leading researchers;
- have the opportunity to work directly with multiple faculty members to implement the research projects;
- gain skills related to critical thinking in the sciences and engineering through research experience and journal clubs as well as knowledge of professional development;
- have the opportunity to visit other research centers, colleges, and universities in Michigan to understand the various manners in which research is conducted as well as explore possible graduate school programs; and
- meet other like-minded students who are interested in science and engineering
- have the opportunity to explore Flint and Michigan, an exciting city and state, respectively, with much to offer, from arts and culture to food to outdoor activities.