Soccer and Diversity

Soccer

Kettering University offers a great exposure to a multi-cultural backdrop. Becoming a part of a group consisting of students and professors from different countries, nationality and culture is the best part. I was fortunate enough to lead a soccer team with teammates from Germany, China, America, Mexico, Albania, Syria and Turkey. It helped me learn about various traditions and lifestyles with better understanding and appreciation for the differences in culture. My interaction with my international peers from all over the world has helped broaden my view.

On the other hand, most of my American friends had never heard of Harappa and Mohenjo-daro, two of the earliest world civilizations that are based in the Indian subcontinent. Many had no idea that the partition of India and Pakistan in 1947 turned 12 million people into refugees, resulting in the single largest exodus in recent history. These were not details that my international friends or I had acquired in the classroom, for we were not history students. Rather, this knowledge that was shared through conversations and debates went well beyond academic topics, the type of stimulating discourse that is possible only when young students from very different background have the opportunity to interact face-to-face and to explore their beliefs and knowledge.

[FUN FACT – Favorite Indian dish of international students is “Butter Chicken”]

I hope you found this post interesting. Please reach out to me at pard9776@kettering.edu if you have any suggestions or feedback.

Ketan Pardeshi

MS Engineering Management

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.